The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$thread_modes - Line: 46 - File: showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1621) : eval()'d code 46 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1621 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction: A bit a bout me
Hello all
I am a pretty old woman (don't feel as old as I am), who recently had a DNA test done which made me close to 50% Ashkenazim.  I knew that my mother was interned by the NAZIs, but survived, and that is the reason I am existing.  We never talked about anything Jewish at home, but she became an orphan with the age of two, and was adopted by a German couple and raised to be catholic.  Which means, I did not learn anything abut Judaism at all.  Considering that my dad was German (according to the DNA he was mostly English and French), my mo must have been close to 100% Jewish, and I found out that her birth name was Levi.
As I said, I don't know anything about half of my heritage, and hope that you folks can help me a bit to find out who I am.
Thank you very much!
Linde
Hello Linde and welcome to the forum!

Just to let you know, the first posts are moderated to help keep out spam and bots.

Thank you for your introduction.

It sounds like your mother was 100% Jewish (you either are or aren't).

If you could find out if her mother was Jewish, that would confirm it.

If that all pans out, then you are Linde, a Jewish woman by birth who is now discovering her roots!
Hi Linde, and welcome! As SMR said, do a little genealogical research. If you have an unbroken maternal Jewish line, then you are Jewish. I'm on the older side of things too, but I don't let that stop me!
(02-21-2023, 06:41 PM)Chavak Wrote: Hi Linde, and welcome!  As SMR said, do a little genealogical research. If you have an unbroken maternal Jewish line, then you are Jewish. I'm on the older side of things too, but I don't let that stop me!

Chavak, my problem is that I don't know if I have an unbroken Jewish line.  My mom became an orphan (at least I think she was one, and was not simply taken away from her Jewish parents) with the age of two, and was consequently raised by a Catholic couple who raised her to be a Catholic.  She did not even know that she was Jewish until the NAZIs came to get her.  The only thing I was able to find out , was that her father had the last name of Levi, and because I am close to 50% Ashkenazi, she must have been close to 100% Jewish.  That is the end of the line for me, because all other evidence was eliminated during the NAZI regime.   Huh

Linde
Dr. Linde XXX
If you have a Chabad in your area (odds are you do, they are everywhere) I would consult them and see if they are able to help you out.
(02-28-2023, 08:13 AM)Chavak Wrote: If you have a Chabad in your area (odds are you do, they are everywhere) I would consult them and see if they are able to help you out.

Thanks, I reached out to the Rabbi of a Synagoge near me.

Linde
Dr. Linde XXX
(03-05-2023, 03:09 AM)Linde Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 08:13 AM)Chavak Wrote: If you have a Chabad in your area (odds are you do, they are everywhere) I would consult them and see if they are able to help you out.

Thanks, I reached out to the Rabbi of a Synagoge near me.

Linde

wonderful! let us know how it goes.